How do I get my race shirt and swag bag?
Make plans to stop by Dickies Chevrolet Parking Garage to pick up your swag bag, t-shirt and tribute sign! Team captains with teams of five or more will be given their Blast in a Box. Packet Pickup is a drive-through event; you do not have to get out of your car. We can’t wait to see you and say thank you!
Wednesday, March 3 from 10 a.m.−2 p.m.
Thursday, March 4 from 10 a.m.−2 p.m. and 4:30−6:30 p.m.
Address: 3464 Trail Drive, Fort Worth, TX 76107
How does this walk work? Do I have to walk on March 6?
Walk or run on Saturday, March 6 wherever you choose … at school, around town or through your neighborhood! But, if you can’t get out and about on March 6, walk whenever you have time. Are you honoring someone special while you walk? Put that sweet name on your race bib! Wear your shirt, show your spirit and tag your photos #blastawaycancer.
Here’s a sample 5K route. Please click here to view. This route will not have traffic control. Please use caution and walk at your own risk on public streets. You may choose to stay on the trail and turn around at Bellaire.
What’s happening on Facebook on March 6?
Since we all can’t be together, we’re bringing the love to you. Hop onto Facebook at 9 a.m. on Saturday, March 6 and be inspired by some fun videos. We are so grateful to everyone who has donated to support pediatric cancer research and treatment for Cook Children’s patients! The videos will be waiting here for you to enjoy whenever you have time.
The Blast was started to honor the promise Alexa Sankary made to her friend, Michael Mancuso, who was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at the age of 4. Before he passed away at the age of 7, she promised him she would help find a cure for the children still suffering from this rare and aggressive form of cancer.
Fourteen years have passed and The Blast has become a wonderful community event honoring Michael’s memory. It celebrates the courage and strength of the Cook Children's patients and families affected by pediatric cancer.
We are excited to build on that promise. Neuroblastoma is one of the many cancer diagnoses Cook Children’s patients are fighting every day. This year, The Blast will benefit all cancer programs within our health care system. We hope you will join us as we make it our mission to #blastawaycancer. For more information or questions, email email@example.com.
What does the event look like this year?
We want to join together as many people in the fundraising community as possible, and we want to do it safely! The Blast will be a virtual event on March 6, 2021. Stayed tuned for more information on this website and our Facebook page for exciting ways to stay connected while keeping our patients and families healthy. We will offer participants several suggested routes around the city from which to choose. Register now to begin receiving communication with event details and updates.
Why is it important to participate?
The children we serve count on your donations! Cancer in children, teens, and young adults is rare. Cook Children’s Hematology and Oncology Center is one of only a handful of pediatric cancer programs in the southwest. Your support provides our doctors with the latest treatments to serve our patients. Each dollar raised supports lifesaving research, technology and programs for our patients who are fighting cancer. Your generosity ensures that each family who enters our hematology and oncology center has the best experience, even on their worst day.
|Registration Type||Adult Price||Kids Price||What's Included|
|Blastoff Registration||$40||$25||Race t-shirt
One 5K route
|Moonwalker Registration||$70||$40||Race t-shirt
Three family-friendly routes
How do I set up a team?
Can I participate alone?
Of course! Astronaut Neil Armstrong said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." All you need is one.
Making an Impact
How can I do more?
Sign up to be a Team Captain and gather your family, friends, and coworkers together to participate with our deepest gratitude. Each team with 5 or more team members will receive a Blast in a Box special kit with event-themed goodies to share with their team. (Shipping will be arranged for out-of-town Team Captains)
If you are inspired to do more to help #blastawaycancer, reach for the stars! Participants who raise $500 become Star Club Members and raising $1,500 makes you a Shooting Star Leader. These special levels unlock additional SWAG to inspire you and your team.
Reach $500 as a team or individual to receive a branded hat, website recognition and special SWAG to share. Continue fundraising and reach $1,500 for even more gifts to promote your success with: a yard sign, website recognition, and a fun opportunity to promote your fundraising success on The Blast Facebook page.
How are donations made?
How do I get a swag bag and race shirt?
The drive-through Packet Pickup is at Dickies Chevrolet Parking Garage on Wednesday, March 3 from 10:00 a.m.−2:00 p.m. and Thursday, March 4 from 10:00 a.m.−2:00 p.m. and 4:30−6:30 p.m.
Are there discount codes?
When you complete registration, fill out a short survey and a discount code will be emailed that you can share with your team members before they register.
How can I get a team award?
Awards for Highest Fundraising Team, Highest Fundraising Individual, Most Social Team, Largest Team and Most Spirited Team will be given. Winners will be announced after the event on March 6 and each prize will be shipped or delivered if a winner is local.
The tribute walk is a way that we honor, celebrate and remember patients during The Blast. This year, Cook Children’s is gifting tribute signs at no cost to you! The signs include the child’s photo, name and diagnosis, and will indicate angel, fighter or survivor. A parent or guardian must complete photo and HIPPA consents online. The step-by-step process for the printed signs can be found here. After The Blast on March 6, families may take home their signs.
Do I have to register as a participant to purchase a tribute sign?
How to blast off your fundraising efforts
- Register online
- Make a list of 10 people to join your team
- Think about your different networks - friends, family, neighbors, place of worship, work, and organizations you belong to, etc.
- Invite people to join your team online
- If people say no, encourage them to make a donation to your team instead
- Set a fundraising goal
- Aim to be a Star Club Member or Shooting Star Leader
- Personalize your page
- Why are you fundraising for the Cook Children’s Oncology Department? Write a few words on your personal fundraising webpage
- Add a picture so guests can see your gorgeous face
- Reach out to networks and ask them to support your cause
- Our world is very busy; you may need to remind people a couple of times to donate
- Post on Facebook
- Set up a Facebook fundraiser through the participant center; it's simple and can connect you to a larger network
- Sign up to join a team captain training for a step-by-step guide and tips to reach your fundraising goals. Stay tuned for training dates!
How to create a Facebook Fundraiser through the Participant Center
- Log into Participant Center
- On the home page of Participant Center, click Fundraise on Facebook
- Click Create Fundraiser
- When the Facebook login page opens, enter login information to create a new Facebook Fundraiser
- The Participant Center now contains a link to the newly-created Facebook Fundraiser. The title and story for the Facebook Fundraiser is automatically populated with Personal Page information. If a goal was not defined for the TeamRaiser, the default goal is set to $250.
- Copy and paste the Facebook Fundraiser link in an email to send to your friends and family to request donations
- Or, click Go to Facebook Fundraiser to open the fundraiser in Facebook in a separate tab
Raise $500 Become a Star Club Member
Ask 5 people to each raise $100!
As a Star Club Member you receive event-themed goodies!
Tips to boost dollars raised
- Ask each team member set up a Facebook Fundraiser
- Call family members, text your friends and ask your neighbors to support The Blast by donating.
On a roll and ready to blast away cancer with even more stellar fundraising?
Raise $1,500 Become a Shooting Star Leader
Ask 10 people to each raise $150
As a Shooting Star Leader you receive additional event-themed goodies!
Tips to boost dollars raised
- Ask each team member set up a Facebook Fundraiser through the participant center
- Call family members, text your friends and ask your neighbors to support The Blast by donating
- Talk to your favorite local small businesses, dentist or Realtor about sponsoring your team! Think about all the places you support and ask those folks for donations to The Blast
For more information or to ask questions about The Blast, email firstname.lastname@example.org.